4.24.2010

bread pudding

I'm actually not a huge fan of bread. I know, it's kind of blasphemous, but I don't know why it just never appealed to me. Maybe because I like rice so much more? But I digress.

I do love bread pudding though, with a passion. What could be better than a custard-y, gooey, soft, but crusty bread pudding with fruits and ice cream? I know you are speechless. No, I kid.

But seriously now. Remember N's paella post? Well, there wasn't just paella at that dinner, there was tempura bacon (ah yes, can't go a post without mentioning bacon), homemade French fries, broccoli, but most importantly (we all know dessert is the most crucial part of a meal), there was bread pudding. Made by this girl here.

We had made bread pudding together before with frozen peaches and cinnamon and it was delicious. However, this time, Melody went all out--she whipped out a half a stick of butter. I kid you not. When I saw that, I knew that this bread pudding would be irresistible.

I'll have to ask her where she got the recipe, but there was an egg and milk mixture, challah bread, apples and raisins. Oh and brown sugar. Mustn't forget that! She sautéed the ingredients (minus the bread and custard mix) in the butter, then layered it in between the bread and poured the custard over.

Then she baked it until a toothpick came out clean, around 40-50 minutes.

The end result. We ate it with ice cream. I don't have words to describe the sensation of warm, sweet, crunchy, soft bread with a wonderful contrast of cold, melting ice cream.

No comments: