8.17.2010

wood tavern

My fine dining escapades, though plentiful during my college years (ironic! I know!), have dwindled to the occasional birthday/anniversary affair. And then, only people you actually care about (I kid. Somewhat).

Wood Tavern has long been on my (and D's) list on dining establishments to visit, so I decided to take D there for his birthday. We went on a Wednesday night with reservations and I am so glad we did, because it was beyond crowded. We were seated right away though, and throughout the whole night, service was impeccable. They bring you two types of bread from La Farine (just next door!) with butter, refill your water the instant you finish halfway.

The decor is warm and inviting, all deep browns of wood and dark greens. Behind the bar is an open kitchen where you can see the chefs making your food! So charming! Noise level is up, as the space isn't exactly huge, and everyone is in somewhat close proximity.

The food didn't disappoint, especially our appetizer. We got the Pig 'N Figs (I know, so cute!). It was amazing. It was beyond amazing. The figs were sweet, the pork belly was tender, and the blue cheese crumble with the sauce...mmm, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!



For the entrees, D ordered the Pork Shoulder Confit, while I got a seafood/rock cod stew (I totally forgot what it was called! It was in Spanish or something).

Both were good--D thought mine was better, but I think I would've preferred his actually! So maybe we should've switched. His came with a lovely polenta; the pork was done well, quite tender. Mine was also good; it had a bit of a kick, which was nice. So good to sop up with bread. Mmm.

For dessert we went with their Basil Panna Cotta, which was...interesting to say the least. The fruit on top was too watery; when combined with the creamy panna cotta, it was...not so good. And I'm not too sure about having those basil overtones in something so creamy and light. I think we just chose the wrong dessert--the others looked better.



I think it's definitely worth returning, if only to eat the Pig 'N Figs! And to try their other desserts. Wonderful service, friendly staff, delicious food... you should go!

Wood Tavern
www.woodtavern.net
6317 College Avenue
Oakland, CA 94618-1331

No comments: