6.08.2010

satura cakes

One of the things I miss the most about being in Southern California is the (somewhat) easy access to good Japanese markets. Near my home, there's a Marukai and a Nijiya, and Mitsuwa and Yohann is just a county away (though in opposite directions).

Actually, I went to Mitsuwa for the first time recently with my family the last time I visited. I was smitten. Not only is it a supermarket, it sports a bookstore and a food court. The food court boasts Santouka, a famous ramen-ya--it always has a line of people.

I'll save that post for another day; today I actually want to talk about Satura Cakes. This weekend, my bf and I visited his sister in San Jose. I was excited to see her and her family, but I was really excited to find that there is a Mitsuwa in their vicinity! So we went, because I was adamant that we go.

There was this bakery in the corner to the right of the entrance. We decided to get these cakes in these cute little cups for his sister--I'll admit, I'm a SUCKER for cute packaging. Have you heard of Benefit Cosmetics? Best packaging ever! /end tangent. The bakery was called Satura Cakes, and we got the Choco-Misu and the Honey Yogurt cup.

Aren't they cute? The Choco-Misu cup had a wonderful creamy texture, and balanced the chocolate and coffee flavors really well. The Honey Yogurt one was a little bit lumpier, but a really light refreshing taste, not too sweet with just a hint of tartness. I wasn't sure what the white cubes were; maybe some kind of fruit? The lady at the bakery actually recommended the Earl Grey cup, but I was pretty set on the Choco-Misu, but took her suggestion of the Honey Yogurt.

It seemed more cream/custard than cake, but the actual flavor/taste was really good. It's a bit pricey for the size ($3.95 for no bigger than a small cupcake!), but if you happen to see it, I would try it. I don't think I would go out of my way for it though.

Visit Satura Cakes!

No comments: